Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sensitive scalp part of LAS?

Within the last year I've noticed that Caroline says "OW!!!!!" when I help brush her hair in the mornings before school.  It seems that when the brush slightly touches her scalp, it's painful.  I can't recall this happening when she was little.  Of course I'm gentle with the brush (and use bottles upon bottles of spray detangler) but no matter what I do, she complains that the brush hurts her scalp.  The scalp is not sunburned, irritated or red.  My other girls don't complain when I brush their hair, so I'm chalking Caroline's complaints up to loose anagen.

Looking back over the symptoms of LAS, I don't see where a sensitive scalp is a usual complaint.  The hair loss with loose anagen is mostly painless. It doesn't seem to cause her pain to lose hair when pulling out a hair band (which invariably happens) but only when the brush gently meets her scalp. I suppose there's nothing to be done for this other than to be very careful and not rush styling her hair.

Yet another fun aspect of this syndrome!

3 comments:

  1. How old is Caroline now? When was she diagnosed? Im guessing 2 ish. Have you seen any improvement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jaclyn - she's 8 now and no real improvement. Diagnosed around 4 years old. It's okay though, I can't imagine her any other way. I wish for her sake she'd have longer hair but it's has sort of a 1920's flapper feel to it which I love also. We just try not to think about it too much (even though I have this blog, it's just cathartic)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just came along this blog when trying to figure out why my daughters hair won't grow. Yesterday at her visitor's day at dance I started looking around the room noticing that her hair just didn't look like anyone elses. I have been thinking it would grow, but now at 4.5 it is just not. I made an appointment to see a dermatologist and am hoping for a diagnosis. I have been not cutting her longer hair in the back thinking the front hair will catch up, but we will head straight to the salon for a bob cut since I now know that she won't have long hair. My husband doesn't understand how much your hair is part of you growing up....I hope that we can find a cute way to wear it!

    ReplyDelete