Thursday, February 3, 2011

Einstein in da house...

LAS hair, in my experience, is like cotton candy: light, fluffy, ethereal, weightless. The hairs themselves are so very thin, like gossamer.  It's the strangest texture too.  So every morning, I'm faced with the same  problem of unmatting Caroline's matted hair.  Because I have been a lazy bad mom, I've yet to track down and purchase satin pillowcases to alleviate her hair loss and the matting at night while she sleeps.

When Caroline wakes up, it's like Einstein has entered the building. Her hair is so weightless that it stands up on its own. Gravity has no effect. It's a crazy look. I figure at least some of you LAS moms and dads know what I mean.  I'm used to this wacky look, but at a slumber party a few weeks ago, one or two of Caroline's friends made comments on her hair in the morning which, of course, hurt her feelings.  It's moments like those that have me searching the internet for wigs.

Careful detangling with lots of spray with short, soft pulls of the hairbrush to un-mat the hair is how I deal with crazy Einstein-hair mornings.  Caroline has taken charge of her own hairstyling but I have to remind her almost every day to pleeeease be oh-so-very careful when she brushes.  Even so, she loses lots of hair in our daily styling routine.

Look familiar to anyone?

I get so anxious about brushing her hair sometimes when it's like this.

5 comments:

  1. Just had my daughter diagnosed- she is 2 and 1/2. Im devastated. Her hair looks different than your daughters but she is bare in spots and I am so worried about sun this summer. Thank-you for creating this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is a hard time for LAS sufferers. I've found that spray sunscreen is easiest, then I make sure that Caroline puts lots of conditioner in after shampooing to get all that sticky sunscreen out (and so more hair doesn't pull out). Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last summer, I bought a silicone swim cap for my daughter. It doesn't tug at her hair when I carefully put it on or off. It helped with the sun and she was able to use goggles (otherwise, the goggle straps would have pulled at her hair).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tip, Anon. Caroline is on the neighborhood swim team in the summer and I'll look for a silicone cap to help her out. The normal swim caps are hard enough to put on as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Im Kristin, and my daughter was just diagnosed with LAS yesterday. She is 9. We have been going from doctor to doctor to doctor to doctor for the last 6 years. In 2008 I went scouring the internet and found info about LAS. I knew right away thats what was wrong, she fitted the criteria to a t. I mentioned this syndrome to several doctors and none of them wanted to diagnose her with this because of their lack of knowledge. Yesterday we drove for 6 hours to a childrens hospital. Where we seen a group of pediatric dermatologists. Within an hour they confirmed what I already knew. She has LAS. My daughters hair looks like Caroline's hair, except for the fact that Briannas doesnt have very much curl to it. Its fuzzy, and extremely thin, and falls out easily. Thank you so much for writing this blog. Im so happy to find other people. Im hoping I can find other little girls for Brianna to talk to, so she realizes shes not the only girl in the world that is going through this.

    ReplyDelete