Thursday, February 3, 2011

By 2005 I realized her hair wasn't normal

Here is Caroline at 2.5 years old.  There were a few bald patches where her hair had come out in handfuls several weeks prior, completely freaking me out.  Her scalp is visible.  Today, her hair has become significantly curlier, but the thickness hasn't changed much.  And she's still very much a striking blond!


It's my theory that Caroline's loose anagen syndrome is what makes her hair a platinum blond while her sisters have brown hair.  Her eyes are a dark brown along with her eyebrows.  It's a unique coloring. My mother always jokes that it's like Caroline took a bottle of bleach to her hair.

About the time these photos were taken, I was beginning to worry about why Caroline's hair never grew.  Never. Ever. Grew.  Our pediatricians did not seem concerned about her hair but it just seemed so odd: why would a kid's hair not grow?  For a while, I hoped it would get better on its own and so I didn't push the issue.  But when Caroline continued to be very small and not grow very quickly, I became worried that perhaps the hair issue was a symptom of a larger problem that hadn't been detected yet. She was sent for some blood tests that came back normal, except for a slightly elevated level of potassium.  Caroline's still very small for her age with a thin frame and I still think the LAS and growth are somehow related.

No comments:

Post a Comment