Thursday, February 3, 2011

A family history of loose anagen syndrome?

My husband's aunt (in her sixties now) claims that when she was a child, her hair was very thin, fairly short and very blond. She thinks she remembers having the same issues that Caroline did.  In the aunt's case, her hair grew in thick and fast as a teenager -- and also changed color as it grew in (to brown).  I'm hoping that Caroline's great aunt can someday find some pictures for us because that would give me a "why" behind this situation.  It would make me feel better to know there's a reason, that heredity might be behind the LAS.  Caroline may be very small because I'm very petite and had petite grandmothers - but I have no idea why Caroline would be hit with LAS.  If I can find any more information or photos of this family member who might have had thin hair as a child, I'll post it.

What about your family history?  Are there any family members or relatives who had hair issues as a child?  Did they grow out of it?  As there's no treatment for loose anagen (other than perhaps Biotin which may produce marginal improvement in some children), my greatest hope is that a little girl can simply grow out of this syndrome.  Seeing as Caroline is almost 8 and a half with no real improvement, I try not to pin my hopes on that either.  We just work on doing the best we can do with the hair that she has, and to continue to be feel blessed and grateful that this is a cosmetic issue, not a health issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment